padding-5;

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Season of Feedback

Craig Groeschel had some great thoughts over at Serve blog about feedback. His post couldn't have come at a better time for me in my current leadership journey.

Back story.
Very prayerfully I have had to make some major staffing changes over the last year in our church. Frankly, the economic woes of these times gave me no other option than to eliminate some positions held by amazing people. Thankfully everyone of them are still an active, loving and empowering part of The Rock Church. I love it that our teams love their church and their pastor. It'd be impossible to do anything of significance without people like this.

As a result of these changes I've had to put on some new/old hats and lead in areas with a little more hands on. My workload has increased probably 2-fold. In addition to preparing messages, casting vision and helping many I've found myself meeting with quite a number of people to get perspective and the temperature of what is happening around The Rock Church. My ultimate goal is to find out where we are smokin' hot and winning, but also find out where we need adjustment and more direction/focus.

I have been in a season of Feedback. Since the 1st of August I have listened, received, listened, processed and listened some more. The feedback has been remarkable; from home run Serves to under performing issues. I've learned a lot about the culture and infrastructure of The Rock Church, not so much how it is designed, but how the design is being executed. The feedback has been great to hear, challenging to listen to, but all of it is building the Church that Jesus wants. Even people not in our church have given me some great feedback as I ask them what their perspectives are of The Rock Church.

The season has changed. I woke up on Sunday the 29th of November, and I felt like the seasons have changed; in that, it's now time to lead strong. There is a time to listen to concerns, and then there is a time to lead on while processing concern. Now my language must change, yours also. While listening I am also compelled to direct, while hearing I am also compelled to respond. It is imperative we step together as one, this is the burden of leadership.

Right now this distinguished season is going to catapult The Rock Church to new levels of success. From radically transforming our strategy at Lake Stevens to continuing the momentum of Serve I feel more equipped to lead because of feedback than ever.