padding-5;

Monday, April 26, 2010

Week 2-3rd by .011

Pretty awesome car the team is giving me so far this season. This car is so strong it's been a blast to race. I am learning a ton right now running up front every week, starting on the pole. As with all learning curves I am making some mistakes, more to come on that later.

Ole Red, as we have affectionately named the car, is a beast. It seems whatever combination we throw at it the thing is strong. I am looking forward to an awesome season at Evergreen Speedway. Let's get to this weeks review.

Practice.
We unloaded and the car was fast, fastest in practice for the second week in a row. We made a minor change, but nothing overly drastic. It's all about fine tuning right now, just making small tweaks for big peaks!

Qualifying.
Qualified first for the second week in a row. Awesome .3 seconds quicker than the field. Two poles in a row is not only a first, but that make 3 poles in my racing career. I am pumped about the pole position and it feels great.

Heat Race.
Here is where the night got a little frustrating, only for a moment. For the second weekend in a row Tom schooled me on the start, I got second. The HIGH Point of the heat race was driving the car back to his bumper and wearing him out. I got to race in really close quarters with Tom. We've done that a few times now and I am learning a lot about proximity. For instance, I thought my left front fender was rubbing on his right rear corner, but not so. I'm pretty sure I was as close as I could be without touching, if we had a few more laps in the Heat Race chances are I could have made the pass.

I am learning a lot right now, especially starts. I've been told by drivers whom I really respect that Tom is the best at starts. I am encouraged, even though I'm getting a whooping right now, because WHEN I beat him it will be a BIG day!!!

Race.
We started outside row 2 in a four car invert. After getting schooled on the start in the heat I was determined not to let Tom get the jump. I started strong, but there was an early caution. I restarted again in 4th, behind my buddy and TRC'er Fred Hall #6. We got a good jump, but mayhem ensued and I turned Fred. We both slid off the track.

I was picking my way through the grass off turn one onto the 5/8's and whamo, I got hit in the right rear, or better yet, landed on. Seems the #15 got some air off the banking and landed on me tearing up the right rear quarter panel. Ole Red was angry, a good angry.

We went back green and I got the lead, but an oiled down track relinquished me to 2nd before the caution flew to clean stuff up. I restarted 2nd, but the track was super slick. I couldn't get any bite and dropped to 4th. A late red flag left me thinking about what was going on with the night, and with only 5-7 laps or so remaining I determined to set my sights on getting to the front. Sitting in the car I was a little disappointed that this one had gotten away, but with what we had left I knew Ole Red could get me to the front.

I passed for 3rd on the restart. Ole Red started eating up the track like a fat kid on Cherry Pie, I gained on 2nd. With the laps winding down I made some moves to the outside of the #16, eventually getting there, but it was a little too late. I crossed the finish line in 3rd outside of the #16, by .011 seconds. That's pretty close.

Reality was if I had another lap I'd have passed for 2nd, and if we had the total laps run of 40, instead of 25, I think I could have worked my way to racing with Tom for the win. But hey, the car was in good condition, just some cosmetic fixes; the night was full of cautions and reds, the reason the race was cut short; my team gave me another fast race car, fastest at the track for 2 weeks in a row; and I am hungry for some W's, like a fat kid wanting Cherry Pie!

Where's my Cherry pie from Snohomish Pie Company?