padding-5;

Friday, December 4, 2009

YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU GOT...

...UNTIL IT'S GONE. Have you heard that phrase before?

I had a meeting with some dear friends of mine and huge contributors to the vision of The Rock Church. In the meeting we talked about all kinds of stuff, but mainly we talked about how important it is to value one another. After our time together I reflected on a leadership moment I had while talking, "Make sure those you value know you value them while they are there to value."

When we don't value those around us there is a very real chance they may not be around us any longer. Wisdom tells us what we value will move toward us, what we take for granted will move away.

Have you told those you value how much you value them? It's a pretty big deal because when they go you might not get the chance. For instance, my friend Kathryn Tongg was on staff for 9+ years, and just recently she knew the Lord was asking her to be a full-time mom. She prepared to leave the staff position she'd held for nearly a decade. To my amazement it was unbelievable after her transition how many times I wanted to step outside my office and ask Kathryn a question. It was uncanny how much of what I value was resting within Kathryn, and now she is not here. Did I tell her how much I valued her while she was executing that which I value? A good question to ask yourself if your a leader.

Take the time before the end of this year to tell those you value how much you value them. Think about the person on your team or in your life who you really miss when they are absent with the flu or on vacation, this a person of great worth in your life. Take the time to value them!