padding-5;

Monday, January 22, 2007

Sunday Stories from 01.21.07


There have been dozens of emails regarding Sunday's service. The worship was life-changing, the prayer was life-directing and the Lord's Supper set it off just right...

As a leader, I can only take people where I have been. Yet, to lead, I have to take people where they may be unwilling to go. I remember years ago hiking a pretty challenging trail in the Cascades. The next week I grabbed some youth leaders and did it again. I asked them, "Do you think the kids can make it?" All of us were a little apprehensive, but we agreed that if they struggled, we would help them. The first day on the climb, there was a lot of suffering, I mean a whole lot of suffering. I was suffering, other leaders were sucking wind, and the student's, they were whining and complaining wanting to turn back. But I knew something they didn't, because I had been there before, and I so badly wanted them to know what I knew.

It is a clear cut fact, the majority of people do not pray! They have underlined the prayer scriptures in their Bible, have prayer magnets on their fridge, but still don't pray. When we prayed out loud for 15 minutes in both services I know it was uncomfortable for some, but I have to take people where they don't necessarily want to go.

A lot of Christians do not easily worship. On Sunday, when we worshipped for an extended amount of time I knew it would be a challenge for some. Although we have Tivo with recorded concerts, I-pods filled to the max, Cd's, DVDs and now blue-ray, we struggle to worship in a church environment. Even in an environment like the Rock with great sound, lighting, musicians and hearts for God, sometimes it is easier to just stand and watch instead of worship. Yet, throughout history there has been major advances to the Kingdom through music and the arts; leading people to a place of worship.

Many people were taught a traditional communion service without understanding the real meaning. On Sunday I told people to fix any division they had with another. You could have heard a pin drop. Then it happened, people began going to each other right in the middle of service and asking for forgiveness. I know it made some uncomfortable, I could see them squirming, when I challenged the ministry leaders and directors to make certain there were no factions among them. Finally, when I challenged those who were not right with God to get it right, without hesitation, 29 people responded! Communion is a serious deal, and no one wants to be on the outside looking in; thus, we need to come to the table and receive the bread and the cup with undivided hearts and in right standing with God. It might have seemed a little uncomfortable, but better to experience a little discomfort than God's judgement.

Bottom line, last Sunday was a different kind of Sunday. There wasn't a lot of predictability. Sunday's like that will happen from time to time and it is good for God to take us up the mountain for that is where the disciples saw Jesus at His best!

On that mountain years ago those young people, some of them for the very first time, discovered an alpine meadow with beautiful blossoms, a high mountain pass without a car in sight, a crystal clear lake with wild trout and a night in the woods with a shepherd who loved them.

Leaders take people where they don't want to go. Why? Because they have been there before and they know it is worth the suffering.

Keep climbing friends, we're gonna make it!