padding-5;

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Race 8 - 1st

June 19th, Father's Day weekend, nearly two years to the day since my last victory, and it happened. We led a lot of laps and put the car up front to take the checkers in first. I was pumped as it was a perfect day. We qualified 1st, won the heat race and the main, and closed up the points chase for the championship.

As I stood on the stage with Melinda getting some photos I said to her, "I don't know if I am excited or relieved." Being candid, it's been a long time since putting the car in the winners circle, and with the awful breaks I've had over the past two years of racing I felt like the monkey was finally off my back!

Winning legitimizes the efforts of the entire team. This win was not only great for me, but our whole team as well. The crew work so hard to give me an awesome car, and this year it seems I can drive a 5th place car to 2nd, but the winning car to 2nd also, LOL! I was so pumped to get them a win, the first for a couple of them.

Well, now we set sail for the remainder of the season. I will miss today's race as I made some very important plans back in March, the first miss in 48 or so races. The promoters changed the program a bit this year allowing us Late Model drivers to throw out our two lowest point weekends. This will be one of my throwaways.

Have a great week and we'll see ya on the 5/8's July 3rd. We are one adjustment away from putting the #70 in the winners circle on the big track!