padding-5;

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A DAY WE WILL REMEMBER

This morning I stayed home a little longer than normal to watch the Presidential Inauguration of Barak Obama. It was a special day for our nation, no doubt, to witness the first African American sworn into office makes me proud to be a part of this country.

There were a few moments I'd like to jot down as I watched.

1. I've been to the nations capital a dozen or so times. I've even walked from the Lincoln Memorial to the steps of the Capital Building. It's a long way! To see people from one end to the other was truly a life long spectacle! I don't think the TV can remotely show us how vast this layout is. It was amazing to see.

2. Did you all see Jimmy Carter greet George HW Bush and then walk right past the Clintons? I was like, "Wow, they don't exchange Christmas cards."

3. Rick Warren's prayer to open up the ceremony was powerful. I love how he ended it with, "In the name of the One who changed my life..." Then he went into the Lord's prayer. As he prayed people were praying with him. That may well be the largest live recitation of the Lord's Prayer in History?

4. How did the Chief Justice jumble the Oath? These justices are brilliant and it made me ask myself, "honest mistake or intentional controversy?" Let the conspiracy theories begin...

5. Barak said several lines where I felt emotion well up within me. He is a magnetic communicator.

6. When he was done I felt relief because the rhetoric is all over now, and it's time for us all to re-make America. I will do my part.

7. Watching the helicopter lift off from the Capital with the Bushes inside, and the Obamas and Bidens standing on the steps waving, was a speechless moment for me. To think the awesome power of the President being passed like a baton in a relay race. Truly impressive, and something a large portion of governments throughout history could never figure out.

8. The whole thing left me with hope. Which is a nice commodity these days. BUT, I know the only real hope is Jesus Christ, the Hope of the World. I hope President Obama will lead with the effectiveness that he talks. He has cast some gigantic vision, and only with the help of the Lord will he succeed.

9. Now is the time to summon the church to pray for our leaders daily, pray for our wonderful nation and pray the Lord would reign in the lives of our people.

10. It really doesn't matter who I voted for now, what matters is I do my part as someone who had my life saved by Jesus Christ: honor and pray and pray for my leaders!