padding-5;

Monday, September 29, 2008

WEEKEND REFLECTIONS: RACING

It was the final race of the 2008 season at Evergreen Speedway this weekend. The weather was great and our team showed up prepared for a great night. All in all it was a successful evening, just barely.

Entering the event I was 4th in points for the season with no chance of going to 3rd, but the potential for dropping to 5th. My goals were top five for the season, so starting the main event solidified expectations. However, no one wants to drop a spot on the final race of the season. I almost did.

We qualified 10th, not very good. I don't know what was going on, but the car simply was not fast all day. After qualifying Steve made a great call, he changed the front springs back to exactly what we had previous for the Washington 500. It was the right call.

Race.
The race started and as I usually do, I settled in for the early laps. I was right behind the fast qualifier after the invert, so I had some good opportunities to see what I had. The car was a lot better than earlier in the day, but it was erratic, unpredictable. Unfortunately, I think it was like this last week also, but I often don't say anything cause I just drive the thing not thinking something is wrong.

We had moved from 10th to 7th. The car was under me, but I was clearly not as good as the top 3. I figured, at that point (15 laps), I had a top 5 car again and I would just pick off a few guys as the laps wore on.

As we were passing someone on the outside going into turn one the rear end snapped loose, then it did it again in turn 2, 3 and 4. This happened for 3 laps and I was convinced I had a flat right rear tire. It was time to be super smart, I needed a caution, or risk losing the grip on 4th in points!

I only had 12 points to give to Mike Holden, who was having his best 5/8's race of the year. At the time of my grief he was in the top 3! I could not finish last, so I kept riding around, giving up positions.

Funny thing was is the car started getting better. I started driving it harder and harder and it was holding up, until about 8 or 9 laps went by and then "bam," loose again in every turn.

We had a caution, and I didn't want to lose track position, so I stayed out because I concluded there was no way I could have a flat tire and still be going. After the restart the car was good, but after 5 laps it snapped loose in three. This time I almost spun it out and hit the fence. I saved it about the 4th groove up by the wall. That is the closest I've been to big wreck yet!

I eased off, but it was worse and worse. I fell from 7th, to 10th, to 12th. Finally I pitted under green. The guys couldn't find anything wrong, so we went out a couple laps down. We had a caution, I pitted again, but still couldn't find anything.

The race ended with me 4 laps down in 15th. At that point I was pretty rattled because we really couldn't identify anything wrong with the car. Roger was there and he went to turn the right rear wheel with the left rear wheel on the ground. It should take hundreds of lbs. of pressure to turn the locker, but Roger could do it with his bare hands. He is strong and all, but that was definitely the problem, the rear end of the car was blowing up all race. Thank the Lord I finished without a) destroying the car and b) dropping to 5th in points.

Mike Holden had a good night and finished 5th. I lost 10 points to him and ended up 4th in points for the year by a margin of 3! That's too close for comfort. Congrats to Naima Lang for winning the title this year, he had the superior effort all season long!

I want to give a shout out to my whole crew who makes every weekend possible! Racing is a team sport, we win and lose together. Will, Steve, Pam, John, Scott F, Dano, Aaron, Roger, Roger H, Tony, Justin, Clayton, Eddie, Scott L (99), Mike (1/2 season), Mark, Bill, Darin (4), and all the others who came when they could to help! I appreciate each of you more than you know. I think we had a great season, accomplished our goals! Most of all I'd like to thank my car owner and biggest support, Melinda and Seven.

There is only two more items on the race calendar for 2008! Run the Fall Classic in Yakima this weekend, and the awards banquet in November. After that 2009 will be here before we can say boogity, boogity, boogity.

Finally, thank you to all the faithful loyal fans who come out every week. I still have the loudest section in the stands thanks to all of you. I'd like to invite you to the awards banquet in early November. It is open to the public; you can get tickets at the Evergreen Speedway office.