padding-5;

Sunday, August 3, 2008

WEEKEND REFLECTIONS: RACING

This week was a double header, 2 fifty lap races on the 3/8's mile.

Practice:
The car was decent in practice. As we ran more laps it got looser getting into the corner, meaning it wanted to spin out. We went to work and fixed it.

Qualify.
We may have fixed it too good because it was super tight in qualifying. I think part of the tightness was due to a new tire on the RF. When we scuffed our race tires I cut down the RF. When I qualified we were on three scuffs and one new. Kind of a tricky combo.

Race 1.
I started 2nd row outside. Going into the first turn I got hung up and proceeded to get freight trained. I went into the corner about 4th and came out in 9th. We battled back for a few, but ended up 5th. I thought it strange the officials changed the rules on the final restart. Normally we start double-file, but the last restart was single-file. I really wanted a shot at another position.

Race 2.
OK, so I'm still mad about this one as I write. I start 3rd row outside and was running good. We'd tuned the car and it was a lot better. I was in line and waiting to move to the front. Obviously others were not as patient. Going into turn 1 on lap 13ish the car behind me moved below the white line and then up into my left read quarter. There was contact. I was sliding big-time. It was one of those I can save it slides, I think. I was using throttle, brake, wheel and whatever else to save the spin that was starting. All of a sudden the car hooked right. I may have been hit again, but not certain. All I know is at one moment I was facing the inside wall and the next I was heading for another car outside of me. I hit the other car sending him spinning, then I was hit multiple times before stopping.

It ripped the nose clean off the car. I pulled it in, but the radiator was punctured and we were losing water, and with every drop important points. I dropped in points from 4th to 5th. James Mugge, who I've been in a battle with, rose from 5th to 3rd; Mike Holden, who won the 2nd race on 40 lap newer tires, went from 3rd to 4th in points.

I realize it's racing and these things happen, but when it happens early in the race it stinketh. What adds insult to injury is that I fell a long ways in the Championship points. I want to race these guys for points, not watch from the pits.

Next week we drive to Meridian, Idaho. We are racing for Capital Christian Center. We will be doing a men's meeting on Saturday morning, race on Sat night and then be in church on Sunday. Looking forward to it.

In the mean time, I've got a nose to hang and a lot of welding to do! Thank God for a great team.