padding-5;

Monday, August 11, 2008

WEEKEND REFLECTIONS: MINISTRY AND RACING

This was one of the most fun weekends I have had in the ministry! It's true, I got to do something I've been talking about for years. What is it you might wonder?

We left on Friday for Boise, Idaho. We loaded the race cars (Fred Hall and me), the team, and a message. We headed out to speak at a men's meeting, race for Capital Christian Center in their home town, and spend Sunday with them in their services. It was a full weekend.

Saturday Morning Men's Breakfast.
A packed house of men greeted us as we unloaded the race cars to share our passion for Christ and racing during a morning breakfast. Pastor Ken Wilde kicked off the meeting, and I shared a little about Hebrews 12:1.

Meridian Speedway.
The team and I headed to the track about 11:30 in the morning to get ready for race night. The church had sold about 350 tickets and they were coming by the masses, it reminded me of the early days when Roger started racing for our church.

Practice.
Fred and I were both pretty good in practice, no, real good. Fred was fast time in practice #1 and I was 2nd fast in practice #2.

Qualifying.
Fred qualified 3rd, I qualified a dismal 6th as I got the car all out of shape on the tiny 1/4 mile speedway.

Trophy Dash.
Fred was 2nd int he trophy dash, but looked really strong.

Heat Race.
I won the heat race from the pole by 12 car lengths, Fred was 3rd.

IT GETS INTERESTING.
After the heat I get word the Track Steward (official) wants to meet with me. I oblige and go to the tower. He proceeded to tell me he was giving a warning to me for aggressive driving. I was shocked. I asked for an explanation. He proceeded to tell me that I roughed a guy up on the start. Fact is, we did touch on the start cause I got really tight starting in 2nd gear, but we talked after and it was no big deal, as I explained to the official. He then says I was aggressive on the pace lap. You know, the lap before the green flag. I was like, "How is that possible?" He then told me that I should have given more room to the car outside of me. I was like, did he hit the fence? Did he hit me? The official said, "Nope, doesn't matter, you need to give them more room." Then it hit me like a lead brick, this was his way of letting me, and out of towner, know where we stood. I told him, "It's your track, I'll do what you want." His answer, "I don't want to send you home with a fine." I walked away thinking, "Wow...this could be an interesting night." I got back to the pit; guess what, he told Fred the same thing...uh oh, we were in for it.

The Race.
I started 3 row outside. On lap #1 the front row stacked up. I had to check up coming off of turn 4. 3 cars freight-trained me on the inside. I pulled to the bottom to follow them through. As I did I gained position on the car I was behind moments before, but he didn't know I was there. He turned into me and spun off my nose. Guess what? Black flag for me, to the back I went, I didn't even do anything. Found out he didn't even have a spotter.

We went green again, I battled back. I got to a guy that must have had a gigantic mirror in his car because every time I got to his door on the inside or outside he'd either run me to the wall or cut off my nose getting into the corner. After about 10 attempts, and one resulting in me hitting the wall pretty hard I was like, " if that's the way he is gonna race I will have to move him." I rubbed on him a lot. Ok, I was trying to get him loose, but in no way spin him out. Finally getting into one, I got him pretty good. Guess what? He spun. Guess what else? I was sent to the back for the 2nd time. At that point I cut my loses and drove to a conservative 5th. I figured it was enough that I'd been sent to the back twice, and realized that based on the earlier conversation with the track steward there was no way I was going to get the breaks.

IT WOULD GET MORE INTERESTING.
Fred was battling up front while I was in the back passing people 2, sometimes 3, times by lap 30. Well, Fred got under the track favorite. Coming off of two the car he passed was beating on his right door. Well, guess what? The track favorite hit the fence and destroyed his car. Guess what else? Fred went to the back. But that's not the exciting part.

Our spotters advised us there were some upset people, and that we needed to leave our helmets on when we got out of the car. Sure enough security surrounded our pits like the president. There were people just going off. Our crews were busy running interference while Fred and I retreated to the Toterhome. Eventually I went out and talked with people, signed for kids and spoke with the driver I turned. All was well. Fred, not so much. We decided it best for us to get out of there quick.

Sunday Morning at church.
Ok, I'll admit I was a little nervous about going to church. Would the church fans see it the way it was, a couple out of town drivers getting worked by the officials and others? You bet they did. In fact, they loved it. They loved that we would race so hard for them and put it out on the line. I was like, "Phew!"

Melinda and I shared both services some of our story, and the different things the Lord has spoke to us through it all. I also got to share in the children's ministry. It was a blast.

The Drive Home.
We left Boise about 3:00pm and got home at 2 am Monday. It was a blast of a road trip. One crazy thing, I was filling the semi with diesel when the nozzle jumped out of the tank like a wide open water hose, and soaked me from the waist down with diesel. Yikes.

Conclusions.

  • Racing out of town can be interesting, threatening and, most of all, I will not expect any breaks in the future. Nevertheless, thank you to John Wood, the promoter at Meridian, for treating us so kindly.
  • Thank you to the #70, #6, #99 crews for taking the weekend and having so much fun! Thanks also for not letting me get punched in the face. That's always nice.
  • Thank you to Ken and Connie Wilde for such a wonderful relationship. I felt like that is the most relaxed I have ever been on the road speaking. It was a privilege.
  • Thank you to my man Ken Holsinger for believing the dream.
  • I think racing and men's ministry has some momentum.
  • Diesel and denim don't mix.
  • I met some great people in Boise.
  • When the lead peacock (official) needs to spread his wings and let you know who's boss, let him, it means nothing.
  • Racing and ministry in the same weekend, I could do it 52 times a year!
  • I definitely want to go back to Meridian Speedway and win! I can win there for sure.
Hebrews 12:1, "Since we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses let us run with endurance the race that is set before us."

Quick Edit: 09/10/08. I received the winnings check for this race today, I finished 4th.