padding-5;

Monday, August 25, 2008

OUR RESPONSE: WHEN CHRISTIAN LEADERS FALL (3/3)

Galatians 6:1-2, “Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. 2 Share each other's burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ.”

I had an influential leader in my life fall. Someone I looked up to big time committed adultery with another woman, and my dad had to fire him from the staff of our church. It was a confusing time for me because I thought this guy was amazing. I tell you the truth, I felt betrayed by my friend, I was mad and frustrated that the good name of our church and Christ was polluted.

But the above verse led me to another place over time. A place where I desire to live; I want to boldly help those overcome by sin back onto the right path. When Christian leader’s fall I want to help them back onto the right path; consequently, Jesus is building His church.

Hebrews 12:1-2, “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.”

Looking back on that situation 12 years later I see the mistakes he made. I don’t want to make the same mistakes, and now I have only one option, run my race. I must strip off the junk that easily ensnares me and run with endurance. I must keep my eyes on Christ even when Christian leaders fall.

Friends, Jesus is still building His church regardless of what people do in it. I’ve heard some hefty stories of disloyalty. I’ve met some con artists, jokers and manipulators, but God deals with them, by letting their chins hit the carpet. I’ve yet to see God leave one fallen leader down and out, unless they wanted to stay there. God is always faithful to send his mercy, grace and love through others.

In the wake of the recent issues worldwide my challenge to you is this. Examine yourselves; remain prayerful and watchful in these days.