padding-5;

Friday, August 22, 2008

OUR RESPONSE: WHEN CHRISTIAN LEADERS FALL

When Christian leaders fall it can be devastating to those who follow Christ. The response is vast, from deep anger to soft compassion, neither is right or wrong. We simply respond to how we are conditioned to respond. Some clamor for judgment and public humiliation while others wish to cover and keep it down low.

Daniel 9:9-11 tells me that even though we have rebelled against God He is merciful and forgiving. That phrase, “He is merciful and forgiving” blows my mind. God is merciful, at all times. Paul threw it down like this. He said, “In my insolence, I persecuted people. But God had mercy on me because I did it in ignorance and unbelief.” In other words, Paul didn’t know better and God showed Him great mercy. When we were separated from God we did not know better, therefore, God showed us great mercy.

Yet we must do as Christ, “Look beneath the surface so we can judge correctly,” when Christian Leaders fall, they know better. In the case of Christian Leaders falling there are instruments of justice who administer the restoration of God. These men and women are the accountability in the leader’s life; these are the ones whom help when help is needed most. In my experience, when I look beneath the surface of fallen Christian leaders I see many administering the justice of God in the life of the fallen. It brings me great hope to see the truth, Christian leaders fall, but they do not fall alone.

We’d like to think that Christian Leaders never fall, but we don’t live in never, never land, the land where bad stuff never happens. The reality is leaders do fall, how do I protect myself from the deception, how do I not fall myself?

Build a strong wall of character.
There is no substitute for character. What are the non-negotiables in your life? I mean the standards you would never compromise, they define your character.

Don’t build it alone.
Surround yourself with people who have permission. Who are the men and women who can deliver the message you need to hear uncensored?

Pray a dangerous prayer.
“Lord test me, see if there is anything evil inside my life." When do you pray this prayer? What do you do with the answer God gives?

Change immediately.
If you are challenged by sin, change immediately. Get help, get counsel, but change now. How long will you delay in dealing with that which you know keeps you from His best?

Keep yourself from judgment.
The whole log and speck thing. Is it really necessary to heap another log on the fire of humiliation for a fallen leader?

Let God restore fallen leaders.
He can, does and will. Do you believe in 2nd chances? I hope so, because you may need one some day. Heb 3:12-14