padding-5;

Monday, July 21, 2008

WEEKEND REFLECTIONS

What a weekend! It's Monday and it's just ending.

Saturday morning, Ben and Maureen Turner wedding.
Ben was a student in youth, and has grown into becoming a lawyer. He attends Pepperdine University and accomplished a lot academically. I'm really proud of these two, they will have an amazing life together. Ben is living proof youth pastors make a difference. It matters that there are people who pour into students. It matters big time.

Saturday night, Who can understand.
Pastor Bill, Mike, Kyle and Robin were riding the North Cascades loop. Miles from almost being finished a car was stopped eastbound on hwy 2. As Mike and Robin approached the stopped car was rear ended--it went right into Mike. The timing of it all seems unreal, moments earlier or later, and it's a car accident. I've had a lot of thoughts about "why," "what," "how." Most of all, I've leaned on what has sustained me through loss before. When you encounter tragedy it's a sign God is asking something new of you. I'm asking myself, "God, what new thing are you doing?"

Sunday Morning. It was tough for me.
It was a tough Sunday for me. I wanted to be sensitive to all those at church who didn't know Mike very well, but those who did know Mike were devastated because he took care of us so personally. It wasn't like church could go on as normal. A big thank you to those who were gracious enough to let me share what was on my heart for my friend, his family and our church. With so many people responding to the salvation call I know the services were used to impact lives.

Sunday Night. City Bible Church.
I spoke at City Bible Church in Portland Oregon. It was a blast. We took the race car down to display and spent 2 hours signing stuff for kids after the meetings were over. It was very cool to blend both passions, preaching and racing. City Bible Church is a great church. We had fun. Thanks to all who helped get the hauler there with the car, Cris, Verlynna, Justin and Roger. Also thanks to the rest of you who drove down to support me. Should a child really want a signature on their forehead in sharpie pen?

Monday. I got home at 4 am this morning, so I slept in late.
I spent the afternoon with Mike's family. He was young, so his kids are young. Considering what I went through at the age of 29 (lost both parents in plane crash) I've been doing my best to coach them through this loss. There is a lot to do; I simply want to be helpful.

Tonight I fashioned a Diamond Plate Cross to put at the road. We went out with those who were with Mike in the final miles and Mike's family. It was a time of reflection, prayer and knowing that Mike is not there! Mike is in heaven.

This weekend, for me, was a Matthew 14 kind of weekend. To summarize, Jesus, wanting to withdraw to a quiet place was moved with compassion... that's how I felt. I wanted to draw away, but I knew the call of God was greater. I'm glad I kept stepping forward.

When there is a pile poop in your life it's a sign there is a pony to ride. That's what my dad used to tell me and they are wise words to live by when bad stuff happens. I'm looking for the pony, ope, there it is, it's the seventy car. I fully intend to race for Mike this weekend in the Washington 500.