padding-5;

Monday, May 12, 2008

WEEKEND REFLECTIONS: RACING

This last Saturday was race #5 in our season. Rain threatened most of the day, but it held off and we got the race in.

Practice.
After unloading the car we headed out for practice. The car was pretty loose, so loose that I backed it around turn 3 and 4 not once, but twice. We brought it in and made some quick changes to the rear end.

Qualifying.
We were no longer loose, which was good. The problem was new, we were so tight the car wouldn't turn, at all. To turn it I had to go full throttle and buzz the rear tires loose, which meant on my second lap I almost knocked the wall down coming off of turn two. I had to lift. We qualified 2nd to last. The guys went to work.

Heat Race.
I started last row outside in the eight spot. Guess what? The car turned pretty good and we passed a few guys in 10 laps. I finished 6th.

Main Event.
I started last row inside (15th). The car was pretty good, but loose off the corner which means when under throttle the back end wants to lead the way, very uncomfortable. I would push the envelope coming off of turn two making the right rear tire mad, and the thing would nearly spin out going into three. I had to drive it really gently because if I upset the chassis I'm not sure I could save it if I started to spin. I had some good battles with guys coming from the back eventually finishing 8th.

Next Week.
We will find the mojo in the shop this week and get it back to where it was two weeks ago on the podium.

Thank You.
I want to send a big thanks out to the whole crew. Days like Saturday build character in a race team. We work hard, the car struggles; we work some more, the car still struggles. On nights like that we have to line up on the grid and race our best even though we're not sure what we have. It builds character because we learn to trust each other. We learn that not every weekend will be amazing. We forge the time tested relationships that are built on victories and failures and it makes us stronger. Thanks guys for a great weekend. It may not have resulted in a great finish, but it worked something greater in all of us, which is more valuable in the big picture.