padding-5;

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

THIS YEAR I RESOLVE TO... (5/6)

By Jeff Knight on 2008

Do something social?
Proverbs 18:1, “A man who isolates himself seeks his own desire;” I think it is important to set scheduled times to be intentionally involved with people. If I don’t set it up on the calendar then it can get lost in the tasks and to-do’s of life.

Birthdays.
The one day a year to make someone feel special.

Company Picnic.
Will you go this year? What better reason than to tell the world that you’re a Christ follower who is interested in what they are doing.

Friends.
Make some new ones. There are so many people coming into our lives everyday whom we can befriend.

Dinner Party.
Go ahead, get a group of 16 together and go out to dinner. Sure the gratuity will be higher because of the number of guest, but so what. Go to dinner and try to listen to more than one conversation at a time, you’ll be amazed at how much you can learn from the other 15 people talking it up.

Family.
Call more often. Fly to see them. Send a card. Forward them a funny email.

Church.
There is no substitute for fellowship in church.

Spouse.
Date night! The most trusted, most important human in our earthly lives. We spend a bunch of time together in the same room, but are we in the same conversation? Change that NOW!

Jeff Personally.
I’m going to Alaska to see my family this year. I have one uncle and aunt, cousins and Grandma who live on the Kenai Peninsula. I’m going to tell people how much I appreciate their friendship more often. I’m going to take Melinda on date nights more often. I’m taking a sled-trip with 12 men in February to Cle Ellum. I’d like to raft the Snake River in Idaho if there were some crazy men to do it with. I’d love to fish in Alaska with some fishermen. And I will definitely be at the race track with a bunch of race fans on Saturdays this year.