padding-5;

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Book of Acts

I have been totally buried in the first 6 chapters of Acts for about a month now. Three passages stick out to me in big ways right now.

First, Acts 1:8. Today I was reflecting on Jesus third target, Samaria. No doubt in the 1st century Jews and Samaritan's were at odds with each other. Yet, I find it interesting that much of what the Samaritan's were doing had an element of the truth to it. After all, many Jews were outcast to Samaria because they couldn't cut the Jewish custom and laws, but they did love God and adhere to part of the law. Here is what I considered, could our modern day Samaritan's be those who have been outcast from the local church? In other words, they have a lot of Christ follower elements in their lives, but have, for the most part, been rejected by the local church. If so, then we are called to go to them, just as we are called to go oversees.

Second, Acts 2:40-47. Can you really imagine a church like this? I certainly can. This passage is my motivation everyday. Here is the short list of the kind of church we are trying to build: Good doctrine, fellowship, eat together, prayer, fear of God, wonders and signs, one accord, things in common, gathered at church and in homes, simplicity of heart, praising God, favor, joy, and God added to the church! Any church with those elements will be added to!

Third, Acts 6:7. The Word of God spread and the number of disciples multiplied greatly! This is the first mention of multiplication in the First Generation Church!

Reflection Question:

This week, I am asking myself and the Lord: "What does it take to move from a church of addition to a church of multiplication?"