padding-5;

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Super Bowl!

Well, my beloved Seahawks were not at the prom dance this year, but I watched the game anyhow. Thankfully, our youth pastor maintained his salvation as Peyton Manning won the big game. I was fearful that if there were bad calls, broken plays and a losing effort, then all might have been lost...just being facetious.


Pastor Travis is a competitor and likes to win. I like that in a pastor. Not that we are competing with other churches, but that we are competing with those influences that are destroying lives. I like a man of God who will not settled for anything short of God's best. It is probably just my opinion, but I think all of us, deep down, have a competitive side. For me it especially comes out when we are talking about winning souls for the Kingdom and helping marriages and raising kids. I want the best for people...period.

I admit, I slept through the final minutes of the big game, but awoke to the head coach of the Colts, giving praise to the Lord and identifying himself and the other coach as not only African American coaches in the Super Bowl, but Christians, and as he said about their coaching, "doing it the Lord's way."

There should be difference between Christians and others in every competitive arena. No matter if it is the lumber mill, the board room, the truck stop or the University there are men and women who are "doing it the Lord's way."

In salute to those men who compete on the fields of football every year and play their heart out for the Lord, like Shaun Alexander, let's live this week in our competitive field "doing it the Lord's way." There is no better way to live!

I will be taking tomorrow off from the Blog, but I will be back on Tuesday. I am physically tired, but mentally sharp, after an intense week of ministry. We hosted the Red Cross and families are still staying at the church, made a close friend with Pastor Carlos Torres from Texas, talked vision with dozens of people, and ministered one of the most provocative messages I have ever preached. I told Melinda on the way home from church, "I need a full 24 hours to recover from the goodness of God!" Imagine that? Needing to recover from God's goodness. What a great reason to be exhausted. So many times we are tired because of the same-old-same-old, but I believe this will be a year to be fatigued because God is doing His big God thing at The Rock. I think it is extremely important for all ministers and volunteers to stay fresh and rested for the things of the Lord. Personally, I have made a vow to God to take care of my body as much as the other attributes that make me who I am. See ya Tuesday!