padding-5;

Thursday, January 25, 2007

What is Needed vs. What is Not

I had some extra time today. While home and not feeling on top of the world I thought about the people I appreciate the most in my life and ministry. What makes them special and unique became the theme of the day. I began to scratch out the following lists. Everybody in my life who is helpful has a few things in common that they do well; consequently, others I have met are not as helpful. We will start with the not so needed list.

Characteristics not needed:

  • Negative opinions
  • Unresolved hurt
  • Focus on self
  • Emphasis on what “we don’t have”
  • Keeping information for power and position
  • Poor attitudes
  • Slack work ethic
  • Stealing

Characteristics most needed:

Working together. Great teams are composed of people willing to share and willing to learn from each other.

The desire to serve. Great teams are willing to serve one another no matter the cost. Each member will go out of their way and fore go comfort in order to serve their team.

Compassion with difference. There will be conflict on every team. Walking in compassion creates an atmosphere of trust, even when there is challenges.

Givers. Great teams are givers in every capacity. They have no problem picking up the tab for the team. They work together to make certain the team is giving back.

Faithful to be present. I ask myself in every unique situation each day, "What is preventing me from being fully present?" If a team is not fully there, they're elsewhere.

Love. Surrounded by the gifts of the Spirit in the Bible we find the love chapter. Every team administering gifts is nothing without love.

Big Dreams. Teams with the biggest vision make the biggest difference. What would happen if nobody dreamed the impossible? I want to be on a dream-team.

If any of you have additions to either side of this list feel free to share each of them...