padding-5;

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Week 7-7th and 3rd

This last weekend was a double header at Evergreen Speedway. We had two 50-lap mains scheduled, so it was set up to be a great night of racing.

In the first main we were all lined up on the front stretch and the command was given to start the engines. As I started my engine all was normal. I put the car in gear and began to roll out when there was a "pop" sound, the steering completely changed. I rolled to the pits while the other cars were scuffing tires, sure enough, I had a power steering line come apart at the fitting. I told the guys to put the hood on, cause it was time to man up and drive the car without power steering, which is not impossible by any means, but no easy task either.

I turned the quickest lap of the race on lap nine, but on lap 31 I would have some misfortune. We had restarted a lap earlier, and I was battling with Naima on the inside. He was outside of me coming off of turn two. As I picked up the throttle I got a bit loose, Naima and I got pretty close and I couldn't save it without wrecking us both. The car slid down the back stretch sideways, I hit the inside wall pretty hard. The main was over for me, the left side suspension was tore up bad.

I drove the car to the pit and jumped in a crew members Nissan and headed for the shop. At the shop I dug through piles of the "weapon" parts to get the things we needed to fix the car. Once loaded I headed back to the track where the guys had most of the bent suspension torn off the car. They worked feverishly to get the thing back on the track. The officials changed the schedule a bit so our race would be last. It was just the time we needed to get back out there.

I raced the second main from the back, sure enough I turned the fastest lap of that main also in lap 7. The car was decent, but I spun early and spent a few laps catching the field. I think that wore my stuff out pretty good because when I needed to pass some cars I didn't quite have what it took.

Late in the race there was a caution and I was able to close up on the field. At that point I got a chance to race for 2nd. Coming to the white flag I got up under the 06 car, but couldn't make the pass stick in turn 1. I finished the 2nd main 3rd.

All in all it was a pretty exhausting day. I really owe any effort this weekend to the crew who graced me when I crashed and they put it back together fast. Thanks to all the guys who helped and loaned me parts to get back on the track. Racing is a great sport because even your closest rivals will help when you are in a pinch.

We have a week off from ES and then we are back the following week. See ya then.