padding-5;

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

DRIVE FOR DIVERSITY

I've been in South Boston, Virginia participating in a great NASCAR program called Drive for Diversity (D4D). Here is an article on the program at NASCAR.com.

I traveled here with two other TRC'ers, Darin Stordahl and Roger Habich. Obviously my passion to win people to Christ and win races on the track has built some great relationships, and now after years of dedication to racing the dividends of opportunity are all around.

For instance:

  • We traveled to Lowe's Motorspeedway last weekend to watch the Nationwide and Sprint Cup races. I had the privilege of meeting Joe Gibbs who is a Hall of Fame coach in the NFL and the owner of 3 NASCAR Sprint Cup Teams. We talked about his book Racing to Win and the fact that I pastor a church and race cars. BTW...it was the first Cup race I've ever seen live.
  • When Dale Jr. wrecked in the race I was 10 feet from his car as they repaired it in the garage!
  • We walked pit road and got to hang out in the garage area before and after the races.
  • I also got to watch the race from the top of a NASCAR Hauler, so I could see the whole track from the infield while looking down on all the pit crews and the support equipment. Unbelievable experience.
  • This morning I was on Sirius NASCAR radio talking about The Rock Church, Total Velocity Motorsports and Evergreen Speedway.
  • We are here with some of the finest short track race teams in the country like Hamilton Jr and Sadler Racing, Addis Racing, DEI, MacAnally Racing and others. There are 25 drivers competing for 14 sponsored rides, Total Velocity Motorsports are one of those rides.
It is rather amazing that after all these years serving racers as an owner, driver, friend, pastor or even parts supplier (loaning out our stuff to others) I can't believe the opportunities. When I got involved with racing it was because a friend asked me. Now, years later, it's because I've developed a genuine passion for the sport and authentic admiration of the people.

It's humbling to be a part of...seriously...very humbling. Big thanks to Darin Stordahl and Roger Habich for including me in their dreams all these years. Hopefully I get a chance to help a D4D driver accomplish their dream of being a race car driver.