padding-5;

Saturday, January 5, 2008

THIS YEAR I RESOLVE TO (3/6)

By Jeff Knight on 2008

Do something physical?
I got Melinda one of those YOU books by the Dr. OZ who comes on Oprah often. It’s all about aging and he makes a statement that fired me up. I hope it does the same for you when you read it. He wrote, “When it comes to your body, here’s what we know, primarily through studies of identical twins: Your longevity is based one-quarter on genetics and three-quarters on your behaviors and lifestyle choices.” Basically we don’t have to get old and wore down like those in our family before us; we have the power to extend our youth! WOW, turning 38 this year, I needed that!

Exercise.
Want to do ONE thing that would make you much better at EVERY thing?

1 Timothy 4:8, “Physical training is good…” 30-minutes of walking a day will add years to your life. 30-minutes twice a week getting your heart rate up will fire your metabolism to burn a few extra pounds. If you’re really hard core pick up some weights.

Seriously, a few sessions a week can keep the joints loosened and the heart pumping. I'm no health expert, but I’ve read a few magazines in my day and the facts are pretty overpowering; those who exercise enjoy their lives more.

First Time.
A few years ago Roger Habich took me snowmobiling for the FIRST TIME. The snow was 36 inches deep, I was stuck every 10 feet, hit a rock, a ditch and crashed into a culvert pipe wrecking the sled I was riding. It was miserable--it changed my life! I suffered, woke up sore, had bruises on my ego and my legs, but since then I’ve rode a snowmobile every winter and tried to teach others.

Many times we won’t try new things because we aren’t good at them, we’ll feel like a beginner, we don’t have the gear, or we don’t want to get hurt. Bottom line, do something this year for the first time. Your ego and legs will heal, you can rent the stuff for cheap or you know someone who owns it. So go ahead, learn to fly fish, ride a motorcycle across the state, ski, wakeboard for the first time, climb Rainier, scuba dive at Alki, do the Seattle to Portland bike ride, the Jingle Bell run on Thanksgiving. Just do something for the first time in 2008.

Jeff Personally.
A month or so ago I had a Gout flare-up. This was my second experience with this nasty ailment. My grandma had Gout, others in my family have it and I was mad beyond mad that I might possibly have a disease. Our pastors and elders were praying over me and I came through it fine, but then I started learning about Gout. What I learned has helped shape my physical goals for 2008.

To get really honest with you, I need to lose poundage. My BMI is 30, which is not bad, but borderline unhealthy. I’m six-four-250 so I carry the weight pretty well, but my goal this year is 20 pounds lighter by summer! Yes, 20 pounds. I’m not talking about doing a crash diet for 30 days so I can look good for the brochure photo shoot. I’m talking about changing my set point by 20 pounds. You know, that point where you’re not suffering on a diet, but you feel healthy. For me that was 20 lbs. ago at 230!

To do it I’m adding some unique training ideas to my repertoire as a few years ago I got really burned out on the gym running like a hamster.

~After 30 years on snow skis, I’m going to learn to snowboard.
~I’m eliminating certain foods from my world completely.
~I got a new pair of suffering (running) shoes. I’ve never passed a runner with a smile and last time I ran I suffered.
~I’m going to cut quantities of food from my world.
~I’m going to go to the gym as often as I can to lift those hard core weights.

I’ve got to be careful though because years of on-off workout regimes have left me with a few injuries and a lot of knowledge, so I’ve solicited some good friends who are totally into working out to give me advice. I’d encourage you to not go it alone, have realistic expectations and take it one day at a time.

Do something physical this year!