padding-5;

Friday, January 4, 2008

THIS YEAR I RESOLVE TO... (2/6)

By Jeff Knight on 2008


Do something Spiritual?

Fast.
I’ve decided to start this NEW DAY (2008) off with a bang by reading Romans, praying daily and fasting for 7 days! I’ve discovered that the way I start my year impacts my everyday of that year. For 4 straight years I’ve started the year with prayer, special time in the Word and fasting and it has humbled, empowered, strengthened, convicted, admonished, taught, inspired, helped, and propelled me to the kind of year I want to live.

Someone frustrated told me recently, “I fasted and prayed and didn’t get the results I wanted.” Fasting and prayer doesn’t get YOU the results YOU want; it gets the results God wants for YOU! Fasting is worship, and it brings breakthrough in ways we may not know for months and even years.

For me it hasn't always worked out the way I want. I started last year with fasting, prayer and time in the word and had a tough year at times, especially losing the baby. Yet, when I think about it, I think fasting and prayer were the sustaining factors when I battled tough times. If I can get to it (fasting/prayer) God will get me through it (whatever may come).

Read and Listen.
The benefits abound, Hebrews 4:12-13, “For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.”

For many the resolutions will be to lose the poundage, stop that addiction, get the finances in order, and those are great goals, but want to know what you really want? Read the word, “it exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.” When I read the Bible I allow it to change what I want into what He wants. When I was younger I wanted to go out and do stupid stuff, but His word challenged me with what I wanted. Today sometimes I want to be angry or upset about something, but His word challenges me otherwise and tells me who I really want to be, a man of God. When I want to be careless; God wants me righteous.

Pray.
Want to rev up the impact of prayer in your life? Pray privately (at home) and publicly (at church). Jude 20-21, “But you, dear friends, must build each other up in your most holy faith, pray in the power of the Holy Spirit, 21 and await the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will bring you eternal life. In this way, you will keep yourselves safe in God's love.”

Pray for Grace. Pray for Strength. Pray for Health. Pray for Provision. Pray for favor. Pray for others. Pray for family. Pray for justice. Pray for peace. Pray for whatever the Lord puts upon your heart, but live not one moment without prayer!

Jeff Personally.

This year I am going to read the Bible more often because I’m in love with Jesus and not because I have to prepare messages. This year I’m going to pray with greater faith, intensity and intention, and I’m not going to worry so much about what other people think of me when I pray. This year I am going to fast for 7 days, 3 days (2x) and as I need breakthrough. Instead of trying so hard to be the answer, I’m going to fast for the answer.