padding-5;

Monday, June 18, 2007

SUNDAY NIGHT SUMMARIES

It's Monday again, time for Sunday Night Summaries. A great big Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there!

* My dad is my hero. He isn't with me anymore here on earth, but if God allows him to look over the banister of heaven he looks in on me quite often. This weekend was one of the most exciting I have ever experienced and I have got to thank my dad who told me everyday, "Son, you can do it." My dad was a "can do" kind of man. Any endeavor in this life is nothing more than a pipe dream without a "can do" attitude. Thanks dad, I miss you all the time, but mostly on Father's Day because that is the day I think about how you impacted me. Friends, when your father is alive Father's Day is for him, but when he moves on, Father's Day is for you. I love ya dad.

* Saturday at the races was a drama in the making. Being my first time on the big track (5/8's mile) I was a little nervy, but when the motor blew up the nerves went away. Yep, in my first couple laps of practice the motor let go and we had to change engines; thus, no practice on the big track. In the middle of the motor swap a monsoon rain storm made the ground wet under the car making for soaked crew members and the risk of the event being cancelled. Qualifying was called off and the starting grid was set according to points--I am 14th. Mike Bull finished the car, we rolled through tech and lined up with a dozen laps practice, a new motor and NO experience on the big track, which has a wall by the way. The early laps I felt really good and gained a couple spots, then there was a caution. The next set of laps I missed my marks a few times and surrendered a couple spots. I had a good battle with Mike Holden for a bunch of laps and finally got around him. But the drama was not done. My radios went out at about lap 45 of a 100 lap race. At first my spotter couldn't hear me, but then I couldn't hear my spotter...that's bad! When the radio would go out it would let out this loud obnoxious sound in my head that almost drowned out the sound of the engine. One time it happened and I got passed by three cars at once. Because I have no mirrors I rely on my spotter to tell me if there is someone coming up behind me that's faster and I need to get out of the way. With 30 laps to go I was an island looking to the flagman for help. The leader did lap me and then I just had to drive the car in the low groove to leave room for others to get around if they too were coming up. That was frustrating. Then with 10 or so laps to go, I heard my spotter, Scott, say, "Roger is on the outside, after that clear all around." I was like sweet, I can run the faster groove now! I finished the race 10th, 1st car one-lap down, not bad for NO experience, practice or qualifying. With 6 total races in my life under my belt I am feeling better and better hoping to get a little faster every week. BIG thanks to the crew Eddie, Mike, Scott, Scott, Dano, Tony and Roger for getting soaked and cold swapping motors out so I could live the dream. When I was coming out of turn two, pitched out, I was thinking to myself, "I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM DOING THIS!!!!" Thanks Dad for making me a racer, you were never that good at golf anyway.

* Sunday Morning I woke up to rain. Now rain and hot cars do not mix, so I know a lot of people stayed home with their hot rods and bikes, but it didn't de-tune the 4th Annual Father's Day car and Bike show. We had some top notch entry's. MOST importantly there were many hands in the air for the altar call to rededicate their lives--4 stood too say Father's Day was the first time they have ever given their life to Jesus. Now there are a lot of things I get fired up about, but nothing like somebody making a decision to follow Christ for the first time. The worship team busted Life is a Highway by Rascal Flats and we were off to an adrenaline infested service for the men. I just love Father's Day messages where I can totally speak to the men straight up, no punches pulled. The team that Rory and Dan lead to put together the band, the burger fest, kettle corn, and all the entries deserves a huge THANK YOU! Big thanks to Crosswalk, a bunch of crazy musicians, for rocking the party the right way! Christian Motorcycle Association served the burgers and they were off the hook, we need you next year.

* Reflecting on last weekend showed me a couple of principles. First, sometimes unforeseen grief is the best remedy for nerves. Second, as the battery died on my radio, at first, I couldn't talk to the spotter but he could talk to me, but eventually I couldn't hear the spotter. Likewise, if we allow our emotional batteries to deplete at first we won't talk to God, but may still hear him. If we don't get charged quick eventually we won't be able to hear him at all. That is a scary place to be, especially when we need to run the fast line. Third, no matter how fast you drive a race car it can't compare to someone receiving Jesus Christ!

* Also thank you to Speedway Chevrolet, I drove that 07 vet and I want one someday; Bickford Ford, Dan, I drove that 07 Mustang Boss and it was on rails; Bellevue Cadillac, for the XLR; and Monroe Dodge for the NITRO SUV. Every year for the Father's Day Car and Bike show these dealers help us have the nicest looking cars in the worship center for decorations. In addition, Rich Baalman of Les Schwab sent over the entire wheels display with a lot of chrome and some mounted tires. The aroma in the worship center was just right.

Hear from ya this week on the blog.