padding-5;

Friday, April 13, 2007

FAITH!

I've been doing some assimilation of some notes from the years on the topic of Faith. I thought I would share some of my thoughts about faith over the past 7 years.

Faith comes two ways initially:
By Hearing the Word of God!
By hearing the Word of God my faith is accessed.
Rom 10:17-18, “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”

Faith is a Gift from God! This faith is dependant upon the grace for salvation (the free gift). Nevertheless, I am left to ask, which is the free gift, faith or salvation—both when dependant upon grace!
“Eph 2:8, “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God.” NKJV

Can Faith Grow?
Yes, scripture lists several levels of faith:
· Weak faith (Romans 4:19; 14:1)
· Lacking Faith (1 Thess 3:10)
· Little Faith (Matt 16:8; 14:31)
· Seed Faith (Matt 17:20)
· Increasing Faith (2 Corinthians 10:15)
· Exceedingly Growing Faith (2 Thess 1:3)
· Rich Faith (James 2:5)
· Strong Faith (Romans 4:20)
· Great Faith (Luke 7:9; Matt 8:10; 15:28)
· Perfect Faith (James 2:22)

What is Faith?
True Faith is my confidence in God and Jesus Christ, not in my self.
Heb 11:1, “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”

Faith is God’s chosen method to give saving grace: Because faith is a gift from God, I recognize there is nothing I can do to earn it.
Eph 2:7-9, “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.” NKJV

Faith is the first step in pleasing God: Faith is not something I store up. Faith pleases God when I allow His persuading of me to continue.
Heb 11:6-7, “But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.”

Faith is the way I gain access to God’s presence: I know sin separates me from God, the blood of Jesus makes a way for me to come back to God, but faith in the works of Jesus on the cross allows me access to God Himself.
Rom 5:1-3, “Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.”

Faith is the way I build foundation in the truth of God: Faith brings stability to my walk with God. Until I build a foundation stone of faith I will be mislead from the truth.
Isa 7:9, “If you will not believe, Surely you shall not be established." NKJV

My confession of faith in Jesus Christ allows the Lord to give me other experiences in God: In the early church those who confessed faith in Jesus Christ were then allowed to be baptized.
Acts 8:37-38, “Then Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

How does faith affect me?
Emotionally:
Faith affects the way I feel. Faith deeply stirs my desire and my desire longs to know the truth. This truth search leads to faith in Jesus Christ.
Rom 10:8-10, “That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”

Mentally: Faith is more than knowledge. Faith is the mental commitment to know the truth, believe the truth and exercise the truth. Yet I cannot believe until I have heard the good news. Mental persuasion and knowledge of faith is a product of preaching and teaching.
Rom 10:14-15, “How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent?”

Willfully: When I am persuaded I will take action. Real faith is not faith until it is backed up with action. Christ requires obedience; obedience is impossible with out an act of the will.
Acts 16:30-32, “And he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" 31 So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household."

Spiritually: Faith makes me receptive of God, His character and His Word. The Holy Spirit is allowed to continually mature me when I am a person of faith.
John 1:12-13, “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:”

Daily I exercise my faith by how I react to situations and circumstances. A faith not tested is a faith not to be trusted. I choose to recognize that many of the challenges I am encountering are tests of my faith. This knowledge allows me to lean on God in a greater and greater measure.