padding-5;

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Prayer or Bible Reading?

The operational tempo of our church demands that nearly every waking hour of my day be planned. In the mornings I have an allotment on my schedule that reads, "Prayer and the Word." I have found, if I don't schedule time with God, my schedule will become my god!

This morning I was reading Proverbs chapter 7 because it is the 7th.

Prov 7:1-5, "My son, keep my words and store up my commands within you. 2 Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye. 3 Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart. 4 Say to wisdom, "You are my sister,"and call understanding your kinsman; 5 they will keep you from the adulteress, from the wayward wife with her seductive words."

The rest of the chapter is about the Harlot who tempts, and when I finished I thought, "There are so many things posing as the harlot to lead us from the commands of God."

Here are a few temptations I thought about:
When my eyes drift from the mission God has for me...
When I entertain words contrary to the word God has given me...
When I associate with those who manipulate me...
When I ignore the voice of God in me...
When I am enticed by something opposing God...
When my mouth loses its ability to magnify God...

When I was coming off the track at Lowe's Motorspeedway on Saturday there was a sign that read, "Check Brakes Here." The sign was far enough away that, in the event of a brake failure, no one would be injured because there was still time to drive around those parked on pit lane. Likewise we need to perform brake checks intermittently in order to make certain our lives are held short of an accident. Perhaps one of these temptations has distracted you from your place with God. Maybe your scheudle is yoru god. If so, take the time right now and give it up. When you do, He is quick to with grace and mercy.

Get back to church. Get back to God! Get back to wisdom and understanding. Get back to Jehovah being your God and not a schedule!